Monday, February 28, 2011

Not Your Everyday Chicken & Rice

My Mom used to make this chicken and rice dish.  There was never an official name for the recipe, or exact measurements for that matter - so I improvised.  Out of all the dishes my Mom cooked for us (and there were many, my Mom is a great cook), this is one of the dishes I enjoyed the most - however I think I enjoy it much more now as an adult than I did as a kid (proof that the saying 'your tastebuds will change as you get older' is true).


This recipe can be used with bone-in or boneless chicken, however I prefer it made with bone-in chicken.  I also leave the skin on while cooking because it helps the chicken stay moist - and then take the skin off prior to eating.

The sauce is To Die For!!!  I would drink it, but it is even better on buttered white rice!  If you have any left over it makes the best of all time leftovers - don't get me started!  I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do!!


Not Your Everyday Chicken & Rice
2-3 lbs chicken, cut up
1 tsp Paprika
4 Tbsp Butter
Salt & Pepper to Taste

Sauce:
1 can Cream of Chicken Soup (can substitute for Cream of Mushroom if preferred)
1 Tomato
3-4 Green Onions
1 small can Mushrooms*
1 tsp Poultry Seasoning
1/4 - 1/2 cup Milk
Salt & Pepper to Taste

*You can use fresh mushrooms, however cook them to extract water prior to adding to the sauce.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  In a 9"x13"x2" glass dish, cut up four tablespoons of butter and place in oven to melt.  Once melted, remove from oven.  Add chicken, turning to coat with butter.  Sprinkle both side of chicken with paprika, salt & pepper.  Return to oven, cook for 15-20 minutes.


Meanwhile, chop the tomato and green onions. 



In a small bowl combine soup, tomato, green onions, mushrooms (drained), poultry seasoning, salt & pepper.  Mix thouroughly.  Add milk and stir. 


 At the end of the first 15-20 minutes of cooking, remove chicken from oven.  Reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees.  Spoon sauce over the chicken evenly.  Return to oven, cook additional 30-40 minutes. 


Remove the chicken pieces to a plate and the sauce to a gravy boat.  Serve with rice, spooning as much sauce as you dare over the hot buttered rice.


Confession: This picture only shows about 1/2 the sauce I used on my rice.
Basically, I have a little rice with my sauce!!

2 comments:

  1. In my desire to turn every recipe into an easy make-ahead meal, I threw all these delicious ingredients (chicken breasts, cream of mushroom, butter, poultry seasoning, paprika, green onion, tomatoes, mushrooms) into my slow cooker one morning. When I came home that evening, my kitchen smelled wonderful! I prepared some rice and of course a bag salad, and dinner was ready. It was delicious! MY live-in #2 was not a fan-- but her dinner repertoir is very limited, so I don't expect to impress her. Everyone else loved it! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you liked it! Thank you for commenting! Good to know about the crock pot option!!

    ReplyDelete