Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Blue Cheese Balsamic Beef w/ Fettuccine Alfredo

My family and I enjoy eating at Olive Garden from time to time.  On one of these visits, My Lover ordered Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo.  After tasting a sample of this dish I knew I had to recreate it at home.  Now, I know there are many copycat versions of this recipe out there on the internet, but I didn't know this at the time - so I set out to create My version of Steak Gorgonzola Alfredo - which I now call:

Blue Cheese Balsamic Beef with Fettuccine Alfredo


I used Chuck Fillet in this recipe because it is cheaper than Filet Mignon, but provides the tenderness I long for when eating beef...plus - I can make cute little medallions with the fillet.

Spinach: Lover don't eat spinach...Period.  Trasnlation: Spinach does not enter this house in any way, shape or form - therefore, it didn't make the cut in my recipe!

This Alfredo sauce is the same sauce I use for chicken alfredo or shrimp alfredo.  My Lover came up with this recipe...well maybe you could say it was a joint effort because he came up with the ingredients and I came up with the ratio.

Blue Cheese Balsamic Beef with Fettuccine Alfredo
2 lb Chuck Fillet
1/2 cup Balsamic Salad Dressing
1-2 Tbsp EVOO - Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Salt & Pepper to Taste
Blue Cheese
Balsamic Glaze (I used a Fig Balsamic Vineger)

Alfredo Sauce
1 1/2 cup Whipping Cream
6 Tbsp Butter
1/2 tsp garlic powder
2 1/2 cup Parmessan Cheese
1 cup Romano Cheese
Nutmeg - dash
Pepper - to taste

1 lb Fettuccine


Cut Fillet into 1-2" medallions.  In a gallon size ziploc bag, add beef & balsamic dressing, let marinate in refridgerator for at least 1 hour.  Remove from refridgerator at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.




Finely grate the parmessan & romano cheeses.  (you could use all parmessan cheese here, I have done that many times, I just thought the two cheeses would give it a little something special)


In a small/medium saucepan combine and melt the whipping cream and butter.  Whisk in garlic powder. 


Add cheeses, whisking to combine. 


When cheese is melted add a dash of nutmeg and some freshly ground pepper.  Simmer on low heat, stirring occassionally to be sure sauce does not burn.  Reduce to allow ingredients to meld together and do their magic - about 20-30 minutes, depending on what you have time for!
 
The end result will have a deeper creamy color
and more body to the texture.

Boil fettuccine noodles in salty water until just done. 

I had just added the pasta - the water was boiling I promise!

While fettuccinne is cooking, heat a large saute pan.  Sprinkle meat with salt & pepper.  Drizzle EVOO in hot pan, add meat.  Sear each side on a medium to medium-low heat - cooking for approximate 4-5 minutes on each side.***Do no overcook meat or it will be tough and not yummy at all!  (I do a very taboo thing and check a piece by pulling it out and cutting into it to see its doneness -condemn me if you must, but this way I can ensure my family doesn't get raw meat or shoe leather)


Assemble
Place a heaping helping of fettuccinne on a plate.  Cover with Alfredo sauce.   Place beef medallions on top of fettuccine. 

Crumble a little blue cheese over the meat. - Note: I like to buy blue cheese packed in thick wax rather than already crumbled.  It lasts much longer this way and has a creamier texture!


Drizzle with Balsamic Glaze or Balsamic Vinegar. Serve and ENJOY!


Balsamic Note: I was recently introduced to a Fig Balsamic Vinegar which has a perfect touch of sweetness so I used it instead of a Balsamic Glaze.  However, before I found this vinegar I used a bottled balsamic glaze I purchased at the store.  I have tried making a homemade balsamic glaze, but for me it was more work than it was worth.

Fig Balsamic Vinegar
If you are interested in this vinegar click Here


No comments:

Post a Comment