Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Chicken Marsala

In the beginning...I was known to make Chicken Marsala for My Lover - dutifully following my recipe book as if it were the Bible.   Fast forward to present day, I make Chicken Marsala for My Lover only on occassion and I NEVER follow the restrictions of my recipe book. 

This is his favorite version...one day I will do my favorite 'made up' version (which includes pasta, cream and cheese...Oh MY!)

Chicken Marsala

To Start - Pound Your Chicken
I just folded it into plastic wrap, but you can also put it into a storage bag and pound it so the chicken doesn't spray accross your kitchen if you get a little excited about your task...

Clean and Slice Your Mushrooms
I use a damp paper towel.  'They' say not to submerge your mushrooms in water because they will soak it up.  Soggy Mushrooms=Icky Mushroom...but then again so is a dirty mushroom - just get them clean!

Finely Chop an Onion or Shallot (I used a Shallot - this way I get a little onion flavor but Live-In #1 doesn't detect them and start picking them out one by one!) 
Mince several Cloves of Garlic (I am of the opinion if you don't smell like garlic tomorrow, you did not eat enough today)

To a hot pan, add EVOO & Butter

Saute Mushrooms, Shallots & Garlic

Drown mixture in Marsala Wine & let reduce (about 1/2 cup)

Place Flour in a dish and season liberally with Salt and Pepper

Liberally season your Chicken w/ Salt & Pepper

Add EVOO to a Screaming Hot Pan

Dredge Chicken in Flour mixture and place in Screaming Hot Pan

Brown on each side for aproximately 4-5 minutes
Pour about a cup of Marsala Wine over the Top - please be careful not to start a fire with the wine...if you don't feel confident in your abilities - turn the flame off before pouring the wine...just don't forget to turn it back on when the wine is in the pan. (While it wasn't with this dish, I do have experience with fire in the kitchen...it can be a scary thing!)
Cook a few minutes longer - until wine has reduced and chicken feels slightly firm

Add Mushroom, Shallot and Garlic Mixture
Add more wine if pan is getting too dry

At this point you could serve your chicken - BUT - Lover wanted a little pan sauce so....

After removing the chicken & mushrooms - Add more Marsala wine (only if pan is dry) and then add a Pat of Butter (I like the way that sounds...'pat of butter')
Scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan
Let reduce just a bit

Pour over Chicken

And if you are taking a picture for a blog...you might want to take a better one that I did...BUT - then again, I never said I knew anything about photography!


Chicken Marsala
4 boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
1 lb button Mushrooms
1 Shallott
3-4 cloves of Garlic (depending on size and how much you like)
1 cup Flour
Salt & Pepper (to taste)
1-2 cups Dry Marsala Wine*
1 Tbsp Butter (pat of butter)

*Marsala comes in Dry and Sweet.  You want the Dry for this recipe...trust me on this one...I have made this mistake for you, don't repeat my folly!  Also, don't buy Marsala Wine in the cooking section of your store - YUCK!  Instead, go to the wine department, you will find it by the Sherry or Port.




No comments:

Post a Comment